Friday, March 7, 2008

Ever have one of those days??

When you just think, I did a good job today? Most days I look back at the end and think I should have handled this student differently. I should have said this instead of this.

But today, I was in the teaching zone! :) I had some real whoppers of kids, but I was great with them, I have to say. I don't like to brag about myself. That is not my intention. I'm only reflecting the difference in the two ways I can feel and how to get there.

On the one hand, when I am impatient and easily agitated and illprepared, I feel like I can't get my footing. I'm putting out fires and correcting this and that and not accomplishing the goal of playing eighth notes with second graders or not accomplishing reading a difficult recorder piece. However, when I go in to it with a different mindset and am prepared...have thought through each scenario, it's SOOOOOO much better.

I could have told A.A. that he was being disrespectful. But how many times has he heard that?

I could have told H.P. that I can't stand her snotty attitude. But what would I ultimately accomplish in that?

I wanted to tell C.M. that he drives me insane. But he probably hears that and worse at home.

Instead, I pulled Alex aside a few days ago and made a deal with him. If he made it through 5 straight days I would buy his lunch at Subway. Guess what? It's been 10 days. All he needed (and his teacher is LOVING me) was someone to check in. So I do. And he runs and gives me his stubby-fingered hug every morning because of it. And today when I had him for Music, he was as perfect as could be. He STAYED in his SEAT!! Seriously, if you knew this kid, your jaw would be dropped to the floor!

I don't always feel like being patient. I don't always feel like mediating through their he-pushed-me's and she-said-I's. But boy, at the end of the day, if I can stay focused on the MISSION of being a teacher, I sure feel good about it.

So next week, Alex is due for another lunch on me. I think now he has proved himself, I'll have to up the ante. I could go broke. :)

1 comment:

Todd and Micah said...

But it's worth it to go broke if he'll sit for 45 minutes :)

I hear you Chelle. You gotta love the days when you feel like you've actually made a difference. That's one of the things I loved about elementary because the kids still give their teachers hugs. It's nice to know that they care. It gets a little more complicated with middle and high schoolers, but they still have ways of showing they appreciate you.

Keep up the good work!