Thursday, April 17, 2008

My morning. Unbelievable.

You seriously won't believe this.

I need to start by saying that I WAS READY ON TIME TODAY. Gabriel peed his pants before leaving this morning and I almost couldn't find underwear for this child. After ten minutes of searching, I finally found a pair....I'm hoping I pulled it from a clean pile!! :) HA!

So now I'm late and I have a teacher's meeting at 7:40 and breakfast duty at 7:50.

Obviously, I'm driving a little quicker than I need to be...about 5 miles from Maconaquah, I get pulled over. The officer asks if there is any reason for my speedy driving. My answer? "I'm late for work. I have 4 boys. The 3 year old peed his pants, I couldn't find underwear, I'm late for a meeting and breakfast duty. Can we speed this up?" (Ok...looking back I realize my tone may not have been the best. But I'm hormonal..Yeah. We'll blame that.)

He comes back with a ticket for 10 mph an over the speed limit, so he took pity on me there because I was going slightly faster....

I leave, turn down a different road than I'm used to because they are doing some road work. Get up to about 45 mph, a deer darts out in front of me. I knew I was going to hit it. I slammed on my brakes, squeeled tires, slid off the road in to a field where I HIT A CAT. It was a calico. DEAR LORD! CAN THIS GET WORSE?

Yep. Apparently, it can.

I get to school. Go directly to the cafeteria because I had duty. The cafe. Manager had already heard about my ticket because while I was waiting, I had called the school to tell them I was going to be slightly late. She gives me the sympathetic tilt of the head with the courteous smile that you get in these situations as I walk in.

Not even 2 minutes after I'm there, N., the BANE of my existence at school is calling a girl a whore. I looked him square in the eyes and said, "I'm not in the mood for this. You knock it off or get out of my cafeteria." It got quiet around him.

Next thing I know, there is a commotion in line and a cafeteria lady is pulling P.H. (schizophrenic with anger issues) out of line by the arm saying he was "getting physical." GREAT.

The manager and I can't get him calmed down, and he is screaming at me and waving his milk carton like a crazy person. I said we were going to the office to calm down. He said that the principal had told him to go eat breakfast first. He had already been in trouble on the bus....but was to eat before seeing him in the office. I explained that Mr. Baldwin had told him that BEFORE he hit David in the head and kicked him and tried to punch....P.H. wasn't having it.

In my head, I'm thinking, I SHOULD NOT restrain this child since I'm pregnant (Last year he was expelled for attacking his then-pregnant home room teacher), but no one was coming over to help me. I hadn't even set down my keys, sunglasses, and water bottle yet. So I set them on the counter in the kitchen, and I took P.H.'s arm. That MADE HIM MAD. I asked one of the ladies to call the office but there is no phone back there. SERIOUSLY?!?! The cafeteria manager finally came and asked if I needed help. The two of us had to drag/carry P.H. to the office. He tried to hit her, but I had a tight grip on his arm. The worst that would happen was going to be a kick.

Of course when we got to the office, the cries of protest over ME being the one to restrain and drag/carry him up began. My answer? "What was I supposed to do? Kids were in danger! There was no phone close by."

So yeah. I should have stayed in bed. All this happened BEFORE 8:15.

I should say that the cafeteria workers were waiting for me when I finally got back to my classroom a few minutes ago. They said they didn't have any chocolate or candy to make my day better but they did have something for me. I'm notorious for grabbing a few bananas when they serve them. They know how much I love them, so they each pulled a banana out from behind their backs. I have a lovely bunch of them now. Should last me a few days. :)

No comments: