Friday, February 1, 2008

Wonderful Family Moments

Took the kids to a movie tonight with Chad. That is rare! I've taken the kids by myself a few times, but Chad hates the movies. It was his idea, so I jumped at the chance. The kids were very good, and we all enjoyed laughing together.

Some fun memories I don't want to forget:
1. As we left tonight, Chad was going to pick the boys and I up at a side exit door. We stood waiting for him, and the normal flow of people exiting would pass through us as we watched out the glass doors. Two little old ladies said, "Excuse me" as they walked between Evan and Luke to exit the building. After they were out of ear shot, thankfully, Evan announced, "You know what? Old people are really little." And he was completely right! They were both small framed, shorter old women. It was the innocense and wonder in his voice that made me laugh.

2. As we drove to and from the theatre, we listened to a CD in the truck. "Boondocks" by Little Big Town is a hit with the kids, and when they heard it, they started singing at the top of their lungs. I am not sure what the magic of the moment was except, Chad was holding my hand, the boys were singing like crazy, Chad and I were bobbing our heads....and for a moment, all was right in my life. It made me wonder what songs my mom and dad used to listen to me sing at the top of my lungs in the van on vacation, and turn their heads and smile at one another....what songs they heard Todd and I sing and felt their hearts warm a little. I'm guessing it was the Cathedrals....Build an Ark maybe?

3. I love when the boys wake up from a nap (a coveted and necessary ritual still at our house - despite their ages - you're never to old to take a nap...) and walk out with sleepy eyes and tussled hair, climbing up on my lap for one last snuggle before they are off, bouncing and playing again. Today Luke, Evan, and Gabriel all shared my lap. I wonder if Drew was disappointed that he woke up last...It makes motherhood so wonderful to be able to hold them.

4. I was watching this week's episode of American Idol, since I didn't watch it when it was actually on, when Luke came out first from his nap. He likes to listen to these bloopers at the beginning of the season with me. He always tells me when someone bad sings that I should go try out. I appreciate his vote of confidence, even though I realize it could never happen. Today when he made that suggestion again, I said, "I could never do that." "Why?" he asked. "I couldn't be gone. If Simon, Randy, and Paula would say yes, I could be gone from you for a very long time." When he asked how long, I exaggerated and said, "A whole year!!" His eyes opened wide, and I saw in his eyes the conflict between wanting me to sing for them and knowing I'd be gone and he'd miss me. So I asked him if he would miss me if I were gone for a year. He nodded and looked down. I said, "Who would cook for you??? You would have to learn how to cook pretty fast!!!" His eyes lit up, he looked at me out of the corner of his eyes, grinned his sneaky grin, rubbed his hands together, and through a toothless grin said, "Ice cream, baby!!" I tickled him under his chin as we laughed and giggled together.

I've got some great kids...ornery...but great!

1 comment:

a. elisabeth said...

i LOVED this post... i want babies!!! lol. a looooong time from now obviously...youre such a great mom. i hope im that great when i have a slew of kids :)