Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Birthdays in Heaven

Another interesting conversation again yesterday. You see, tomorrow would have been my dad's 55th birthday, if pancreatic cancer didn't exist.

We happened to drive past his grave site, which is very visible from the road. The boys asked me something about him, and his birthday came up. I said that this Thursday would have been his birthday. This prompted the usual questions regarding a birthday..."How old..." "Does Heaven have birthday cakes?" "Will Pappaw have a party in heaven?" Of course, I stumbled through my best-guessed answers. Their questions are starting to conjure up answers that seem to come to me through a blanket of numbness now.

But Evan and Drew snapped me right out of it.

Drew asked me about whether or not Dad would have a party in Heaven. Before I could really answer, Evan said he was SURE Jesus would know when Pappaw's birthday was. It was as if he couldn't imagine a birthday without balloons, noise makers, cake, and ice cream -- and whether you were on earth or in Heaven, birthdays were a constant. A given. (The "given" comment is for you, Dad.)



Evan's faith and innocence never cease to amaze me, but the real kicker was Drew's next question. "Mommy, do you think God could send us down a picture of the party?"

How I wish it worked that way.

3 comments:

Eric said...

You never know what kids are gong to say next!!! That's why I love them so much!!!

Just to let you know, we are going to be in Marion this weekend and would love to see you if you are available anytime. Dr. Lessly's 50th is this weekend and her mom is throwing a party. First time we've been back since we graduated.

I couldn't find your email address so I'm leaving you a comment. My email address is ericjmcevoy@gmail.com.

Shoemaker Family said...

Today is my Dad's brithday too. We celebrated at Mom's just like we did last year too. I thought of you today and prayed for you as you came to mind. I can't believe our Dad's had the same birthday. My Dad would have been 57 today.

Anonymous said...

All I can say to this story is that I love you and your family! Thanks for being so honest on your blog! Take care, Michelle!

Cousin Greg